#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Zen and the Art of Candy Floss

Friday, May 28, 2004
I'm blogging from up north at the cottage, having dialed in via my old laptop (the one that skips keystrokes and that has huge grooves worn into the "s", "d", and "e" keys -- the result of having served as a workhorse while I churned out 14 books during a highly productive phase of my career).

I'm in a less productive and more reflective phase of my career right now. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I'm taking a few days to take stock and to figure out where I want to go from here.

I have tons of opportunities coming at me from all kinds of directions -- all very exciting.

On the other hand, my husband and I have four amazing yet challenging kids that demand tons of time and attention -- also exciting, but sometimes totally exhausting.

On top of all that, I feel this powerful need to spend more time with my really close friends, my three amazing sisters, other family members (especially my Dad and my Grandma, who turns 95 today!), and to generally enjoy life in the middle lane as opposed to the fast lane. (I know I'm not a candidate for the slow lane, so I'm not even going to try to pull into that lane!)

So I guess what I'm trying to do is to map out the next phase of my career -- to figure out which projects I can reasonably take on, and which ones I'm going to have to say "no" to if I want to enjoy a slightly saner pace of life.

It's kind of like being a kid at the amusement park: if you try to go on all the rides, you risk exhausting yourself -- or making yourself throw up. You're far better off zeroing in on the rides that are really worth going on and leaving yourself some time -- and some money -- to splurge on some unexpected delight -- like a gigantic bag of candy floss! :-)

(Okay, my blog gets a bit weird when I've been breathing in too much pine-scented air! We'll return to our regularly scheduled programming next week!)

| posted by Ann D @ 6:29 PM