#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Blast from the Past Time

Friday, June 04, 2004
I had the most wonderful e-mail the other day -- an e-mail from a girl (now a 40-year-old woman!) who was in my class in Grade 8. She caught one of my TV appearances the other day and e-mailed me to ask if I was the same person she had gone to school with in Mississauga all those years ago.

I recognized her name immediately. She was one of the few "cool kids" in Grade 8 who was actually nice to me. (I was, at the time, a card-carrying member of the International Order of Fat Girls -- something that pretty much doomed you to life on the social sidelines.)

Anyway, it was so great catching up with this long-lost friend via e-mail and it looks like we're going to be able to have coffee together next week. I am so excited!

This friend also passed along the phone number of a teacher that I've been trying to track down for about 20 years -- the teacher who predicted that I would grow up to be a writer! I'm planning to put a call into that teacher this weekend. I hope she remembers me and that she's as eager to reconnect with me as I am with her. She made a huge difference in my life back at a time when I was a lonely, unhappy sixth grader. This teacher took the time to read the gizillions of extra stories that I wrote just for fun, and she once told me that she felt sure that I was going to grow up to be a beautiful woman. (At the time, I was convinced I was the ugliest, geekiest, most hideous 11 year old on the planet, so it was totally mind boggling to have someone express that kind of blind faith in me.) Like I said, she was an amazing teacher....

And speaking of former teachers, I recently had the opportunity to have lunch with another former teacher who also did a fabulous job of mentoring and encouraging me during those rocky junior high school years. (You couldn't pay me a million dollars to go back to junior high school again, you know!) I caught up with this teacher during a recent book tour in the St. Catharines area.

It's been kind of neat taking these strolls down memory lane, especially since I recently turned 40. It seems like a kind of appropriate time to be simultaneously looking back, looking forward, and taking stock of all the wonderful people I have (and have had) in my life.

One final post before I sign off. Just got an e-mail from my friend B. She has finally found Mr. Right after a few years of having the men on the planet seriously underestimate her goddessness. All I can say is it's about time that someone finally clued in to what this woman is about. I am doing a serious happy dance for B.! Woo hoo!

| posted by Ann D @ 1:23 PM