#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

The Nurturing Project

Thursday, July 29, 2004
After the birth of my first child, I joined an amazing group for new moms. The focus of the group was on nurturing yourself so that you could take better care of your baby.

I was thinking today that I could really use a group like that at this point in my life, so I'd like to challenge the blogging mothers of the universe to join my virtual nurturing group and commit to doing one really nice nurturing thing for themselves during the next week. It might be

- having a really decadent bubblebath -- alone or with someone you love (your choice!)
- treating yourself to a book that you've been wanting for a long time
- putting on some music you love but that you often get too busy to listen to
- calling a girlfriend and having a soul-nurturing chat
- setting a date to go for coffee or out to a movie with that very same girlfriend
- making yourself the most amazing, healthy gourmet meal imaginable because you are a goddess and you deserve it, and enjoying it with a glass of sparkling water, a cup of herbal tea, or a glass of wine (again, your choice)
- asking someone you love to do something nice for you (e.g., give you a foot massage, a back rub, a manicure/pedicure, to go for a walk with you, etc., basically whatever will make you feel most nurtured)
- writing yourself a love letter (hey, why not!)
- inviting some of your friends over for a dinner party or booking a hotel room so that you and your girlfriends can have a sleepover sans kids.

The sky's the limit. I'd love to hear what other ideas the rest of you can come up with, so please feel free to add to my list by posting in the comments section below.

And while you're thinking nurturing, take two minutes to do something nice for another mom who may not have the time or energy to nurture herself right now. Send her an e-mail or pop a greeting card in the mail to say you care. Or call her to let her know you'll be dropping off something yummy you baked just for her or a CD she just has to listen to. My girlfriends have saved my soul on more occasions than I can count. I'm sure yours have done likewise. Don't we owe it to them to return the favor?

Once you've nurtured yourself or a girlfriend, come on back and report on the results. Perhaps you'll inspire other moms to take good care of themselves and their girlfriends, too. Perhaps we can set off a tidal wave of nurturing that will carry us into fall and beyond!

| posted by Ann D @ 1:50 PM