#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Waiting for the Laptop Surgeon to Call

Wednesday, July 07, 2004
My laptop is having surgery today -- a modemectomy, to be specific. (It needs a new dial-up modem so that I can pick up my mail when I'm away from home as opposed to having to rely on my old laptop -- the one that isn't too keen about typing the letter "a.")

If they had a waiting area at the computer repair shop, I would have camped out there for the day, eagerly waiting for updates on the "patient's" status. I don't like the idea of my laptop being out of my hands, let alone all the way across town. I keep thinking of all the horrible things that could happen to it while it is in the shop:

  • someone could steal it

  • someone in the repair shop might drop it (yes, I know they are highly trained Apple-certified professionals, but accidents happen)

  • someone could spill coffee on it (see above)

  • the building could burn down, taking my laptop with it in the flames

  • they could switch my laptop with someone else's -- someone who is just about to hop on a plane to Siberia.


There are just so many horrible, horrible possibilities. And, of course, it doesn't help that I recently watched Duplex -- a movie that features one of the most gruesome laptop deaths ever captured on film.

I sure hope they manage to fix my laptop today. I don't think I can stand another day of this torture. Am I the only one who is this neurotic when it comes to her computer? Or are there others like me?

| posted by Ann D @ 10:10 AM