#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

On Integrity and Hard Choices

Friday, October 29, 2004
I'm having a hard time sleeping tonight because I have a lot on my mind. I've been thinking a lot about integrity and truly living by our principles, even if there's a cost attached to standing up for what we believe in.

This comes to mind for two reasons: I did a presentation in Windsor earlier in the week about the importance of having a fully functioning parenting compass that guides your parenting decisions. That way, you aren't flip-flopping all over the place, confusing yourself and your kids. That same night, Barbara Coloroso talked about raising kids who are well equipped to make ethical choices. And I've also been doing some reading about making hard choices and living with the consequences of those choices because I've had to make a difficult decision in my own life recently.

I thought I'd share a few of the quotes that I uncovered this evening in case you're grappling with hard choices, too:

The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.
- General H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Necessity may well be called the mother of invention -- but calamity is the test of integrity.
- Samuel Richardson

On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters of principle, stand like a rock.
- Thomas Jefferson

You can find other quotations by visiting Justin Tyme's web site.

| posted by Ann D @ 3:27 AM