#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Unplugging and Decluttering

Friday, December 31, 2004
I took a bit of a break from blogging -- from the entire online universe, in fact. An entire week went by without me opening the lid of my laptop and, to my utter amazement, the world didn't come to a crashing halt, the e-mail police didn't arrive at my doorstep and issue me a ticket for having an in-box that was badly in arrears, no really horrible fate struck me for being offline for the longest period in at least ten years.

I think there are actually a few perks to going offline for a few days.

For one thing, I was able to fully immerse myself in the real world without feeling like I "should" be checking my e-mail, updating my blog, etc. (Of course, at this time of year, most of my business associates are out of the office, so I am unlikely to have a lot of e-mail waiting for me, so it's the perfect time to go AWOL. I don't think I could get away with playing hookey at any other time of year.)

And because I wasn't spending as much time at my keyboard, I finally found time to clean my office. (Well, partially clean my office. The filing cabinets still need to be done. Groan.) Until I dove in and started decluttering, I hadn't realized how much of my stress was being caused by the six-inch layer of stuff on most of my desk. It feels great to actually be able to be able to move things around on my desk without worrying about triggering a desktop avalanche.

And here's an added bonus: Book ideas, article ideas, and ideas for other projects have been dancing through my head while I've been cleaning my office. (And I thought it was just sugarplums that were supposed to show up at this time of year.) It feels great to be feeling creative and energized again after a pretty hellish two years.

I'm really looking forward to 2005.

| posted by Ann D @ 12:39 PM