#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Life and Death Stuff

Saturday, February 26, 2005
Emily of Been There is grieving the death of her favorite biology teacher, but she's also thinking about how important it is to make the most of the time we have with our loved ones.

I think this is the lesson most of us take away from grief after we work through all the pain of letting go of someone we loved. I know when I first lost someone who mattered hugely in my life, I momentarily considered never loving deeply again because it was so painful to have to let that person go. But of course, grief teaches us the opposite lesson. Instead of protecting ourselves from experiencing the pain and suffering of loss by refusing to invest in relationships, grief teaches us to love with everything we've got during the time that we have.

Or at least that's the lesson that I've taken away from the losses that I've experienced: love wholeheartedly: don't hold anything back.

| posted by Ann D @ 1:18 AM