#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

My Favorite Date Night Movies

Sunday, February 13, 2005
Tomorrow night is Valentine's Night, which means it's the perfect night to cozy up on the couch with your beloved and watch a movie once you've got the kids tucked in for the night. (Of course, if your kids are teenagers, you may want to save the movie for the weekend. Otherwise, you could find it hard to drag yourself into work the next morning!)

As I noted in last week's Valentine's post, I'm a die-hard romantic, so I thought I'd mention a few of my favorite romantic movies. I'm hoping my blog visitors will add to my list so that we'll end up with enough movie picks to carry us into March and beyond.

Here goes....

Bridges of Madison County: I think this is one of the most romantic movies ever. And I can't remember any moment in any movie ever being steamier than that kitchen scene when Clint Eastwood puts his hand on Meryl Streep's shoulder. Whew!

Bridget Jones' Diary: A hilarious movie featuring a wonderfully likeable heroine and the wacky men in her life.

Something's Gotta Give: A fabulous movie about a later-in-life romance. Stars the truly fabulous Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton.

The Wedding Singer: Okay, it's a little corny, but it's also an adorable love story. Anyone who hates this movie is the Valentine's Day equivalent of The Grinch.

Sleepless in Seattle: One of my all-time favorite date night movies. I actually managed to catch part of it on TV tonight. The ending still made my heart race -- then melt. (I know. My heart melts a lot.)

When Harry Met Sally: One of the best romantic comedies ever because it feels real, not contrived. (Of course, none of us women could ever be as high-maintenance as Sally, right? RIGHT?) (I'm directing this at a certain male in my life, who has occasionally hinted that women who like expensive soap, expensive coffee, and expensive [i.e. more than $10 a bottle] wine could be considered -- ahem -- a little high maintenance.)

An Officer and a Gentleman: A modern-day version of a good old-fashioned romance.

South Pacific: This classic movie musical starring Mitzi Gaynor ("I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair") and Rossano Brazzi ("Some Enchanted Evening") still melts my heart every time I watch it.

The Sound of Music: What's not to love about a musical that gave us "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" and "Something Good"?

| posted by Ann D @ 5:41 PM