#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

What Makes Me Want to Read a Particular Blog

Friday, February 18, 2005
I seem to get my best ideas for my blog when I'm driving across town. (Hey, maybe that's why I'm a slower driver than Neil. I'm always fumbling around for an old envelope or a Starbucks napkin to jot some ideas down on.) Anyway, yesterday when I was driving across town, I started to think about all the things that make me want to read a particular blog.

Note: I'm going to give an example or two of each point, but I could easily give a dozen examples of each point, so please don't be offended if you know your blog is the best example of the point in question, but I didn't happen to mention your blog. These are quick random thoughts -- not a definitive essay on the subject in question. :-)

Okay, here are some of the things that cause me to become addicted to a particular blog:

  • A lively and distinctive writing voice: The politically correct need not apply! I love bloggers like MUBAR (Mothered Up Beyond All Recognition who tell it like it is and who aren't afraid to offend the odd visitor to their blogs. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Jen of MUBAR is a great writer and has a wonderfully bitter sense of humor. What's not to love about MUBAR?

  • Something unexpected: You never quite know what bloggers like Suburban Bliss or Laid-Off Dad are going be blogging about, but that's what makes their blogs such a great read. You can expect the unexpected.

  • Thought-provoking writing: Some of the most thoughtful writing I've ever read about parenting has been found in the blogosphere. Blogs like Mother Shock, A Little Pregnant and The Blue Sloth instantly come to mind. I don't think it's coincidental in the least that all three bloggers are incredibly honest and open with their readers. That's part of what keeps me reading all three of these highly addictive blogs.

  • Blogs that entertain: Blogging is also about having a darned good time. Part of the reason that Dooce has become a cultural phenomenon is because it's hugely entertaining.

  • Blogs that provide an interesting or quirky world view: Sometimes I read blogs that simply have something interesting or quirky to say. That's why I read blogs as varied as Stupid Beautiful Lies, And She Said and Some Girl.

  • Attractive design: Not all of us are major-league designers, but templates like what are available here at Blogger allow us to avoid committing major design sins -- like having unreadable text, animations that flash enough to make your readers feel like upchucking, etc. Be gentle with your fellow bloggers. Some may be pregnant and feeling queasy!

Well, those are some thoughts from me. What makes you go back to a particular blog time and time again? What makes you run for the virtual border? Inquiring minds want to know....

| posted by Ann D @ 12:09 PM