#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

My Most Excellent Toronto Adventure

Wednesday, March 09, 2005
I have been trying to blog about my Excellent Adventures in Toronto for ten million days. (Well, at least since Saturday.) But everytime I go to blog about them, the universe conspires against me and

  • I can't get Blogger to open in the amount of time I have to blog

  • I have to make a meal for someone other than myself (I would gladly starve myself in the name of blogging, but I draw the line at starving my own children in order to pursue my blogging addiction)

  • I have to do real work, like writing copy for the Gigglefactory website that will debut this fall, writing articles for Homebasics, etc.

  • I have to attend to emergency housework, like cleaning my office floor so that no one gets killed walking through the office clutter.


Anyway, I had the most fabulous trip to Toronto last week -- a totally, totally energizing, fun and exciting trip.

It started out with a meeting with some fabulous folks at a mysterious company that I can't name. Let's call them Company X. Well, I had an instant love affair with the people at Company X. They were all really nice, down-to-earth human beings, even though they are all wildly successful and had every right to be total snobosauruses. Anyway, these people want to work with me on a big project which is right up my alley, so I'm very excited. They also had great coffee in their board room and healthy treats baked by a leading Canadian cuisine queen. These people at Company X sure know how to make a gal feel special.

parents at work

Then, after that, I dashed off to a meeting with the gang from Parents at Work. I've been invited on board as one of their experts and will be offering workplace-based parenting courses to employees whose employers sign up with Parents at Work. I'm already lined up to do my first session in mid-May with a leading consumer goods company. Can't wait! Anyway, the Parents at Work gang is very enthusiastic about spreading the word about my books and the other things I do, so I think this partnership is going to be both really fun and beneficial.

After that, I drove across the city and arrived at my Dad's house. I was supposed to have dinner with a friend, but she was too tired to head out on the town, so I ended up picking up a sub and some wine (not the healthiest dinner, I know!) and waiting for my Dad to come home from his dinner out in Guelph. I still find it a bit lonely being the only one in my Dad's house. (My Mom died in January 2003.) At least now I can be there by myself without being overwhelmingly sad. I decided to do the sensible thing and took a nap. Then I got up and did some writing. Then, when my Dad got home, I had some wine and hung out with him. (He's an abstainer so I had to leave the rest of the wine for my sisters to finish up the next time they're at the house. We sisters do take good care of one another.)

ella centre

On Saturday morning, I headed over to the Ella Centre, where I was greeted by some of the most enthusiastic parenting course participants ever. We had a fun and lively session, and I was totally thrilled to have two course participants who admitted that they "stalk" me online. (Hi stalkers!) :-) There were also a lot of Dads in this course, which was great. We had a lot of fun talking about co-parenting and I think we spent way too much time exploring that timeless question, "Can you have a sex life after you have kids?" Funny how that always seems to happen! I have another course at the Ella Centre on April 30th. That one's all about toddlers, so it should be a little less racy. Or so one would think.... The Ella Centre is pretty unique (at least in Canada): a place for moms to nurture themselves mind, body, and soul. I'd be interested to find out if there's anything like the Ella Centre in other parts of the world. Maybe some of you blogging mamas from the US, the UK, and elsewhere could let me know.

Anyway, enough blogging. I'm off to find my desk so that I can get some invoicing done and some bills paid. (Money in, money out -- you know how it works.) Then it's back to my writing to do list. I've had a whole bunch of very fun assignments come my way lately. Must be good writing Karma in the air.

| posted by Ann D @ 4:03 PM