#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

A Peek into One Woman's World

Tuesday, March 08, 2005
In honor of International Women's Day, I present you with this link to a speech given by British journalist Christiane Amanpour, upon receiving the Radio-Television News Directors' Association 2000 Murrow Award. She talks, in part, about how her life as a war correspondent changed after she had her son:

Before my son was born I used to joke about looking for bullet-proof Snugglies and Kevlar diapers. I was planning, I told everybody, to take him on the road with me. At the very least I fully expected to keep up my hectic pace, and my passion as a war correspondent. But now, like every working mother, when I think of my son, and having to leave him, and I imagine him fixing those large innocent eyes on me and asking me, "Mummy, why are you going to those terrible places? What if they kill you?" I wince.

I know that I want to say, that it's because I have to, because it matters, because Mummy's going to tell the world about the bad guys and perhaps do a little good.

| posted by Ann D @ 3:37 PM