#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

The Motherhood Files

Sunday, May 08, 2005
Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers who are passing through The Mother of All Blogs. I hope you've been suitably pampered and celebrated by your nearest and dearest.

Just a few quick notes from The Motherhood Files:

  • London Free Press reporter Jennifer O'Brien quoted me in her article Battle of the Moms, which ran in yesterday's paper. She was talking about the pressure to live up to impossible -- and increasingly narrow -- standards of mothering perfection.

  • I don't know about you, but I think the Mother's Day articles have made for particularly lively and interesting reading this year. I particularly enjoyed Jennifer Well's memoir/essay Am I a Good Mother? in today's Toronto Star and Katie Allison Granju's brave and gutsy essay about how she had to go to court to prove her fitness as a mother during what can only be described as the divorce from hell -- an essay which ran in today's The New York Times.

  • Tonight at 4:00 pm Vancouver time, I'll be doing a half-hour radio interview about motherhood with CKNW's Rick Forchuk. Anyone who wants to listen online can do so by visiting the station's website and clicking on the "listen live" link at the top of the page.

| posted by Ann D @ 12:42 PM