#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Postcard from Edmonton

Sunday, May 15, 2005
I just sent out about 100 emails. That should take care of a bit of the backlog. I figure if I send out about 100 more, I'll be all caught up. My laptop snafus combined with my travel day to Edmonton have put me a bit behind in my email correspondence, but I am bound and determined to catch up!

When I was reading through my emails, I found an email from my Dad. Apparently, I forgot to tell him that I was heading to Edmonton for the weekend. He learned about my trip via the blog. (Gulp.) Sorry about that, Dad.

I had a great day at Get Publishing in Edmonton. Over 100 writers came out to learn what it takes to thrive as a freelance writer or author. There were presentations, workshops, and pitch sessions running all day. I gave the keynote address in the morning and spoke on "Your Ten Step Business-Building Plan." My presentation seemed to be well received by the conference attendees. (If you're speaking at 9:00 am and you can draw people away from the coffee pot, it's generally a good sign.)

Last night was a lot of fun, too. I had the chance to hang out with the truly inspiring Nora Abercrombie -- a talented writer and even more impressive human being. After I met her amazing kids, her adorable partner Gordon, her two mega scary big dogs, and her slightly less ferocious poodle, we hit Payless Shoes, where I bought a really cool pink purse, and then we dined in the revolving restaurant on top of the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

So I'm having a fabulous trip. The only tiny wrinkle? I encountered my first-ever grumpy crew on West Jet. To make matters worse, they didn't tell a single joke. Has West Jet been hiring staff away from that other airline? Let's hope not because I go out of my way to fly West Jet.

| posted by Ann D @ 12:45 AM