#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Author University: Cracking the Good Writing Day Code

Saturday, July 16, 2005
I've been writing for a couple of hours and am making good progress. It's one of those mornings when the words are flowing well. I wonder if this is because there's no cream in the house and I'm drinking my coffee black. Hmmmm....

Just as professional athletes like to look for ways to deconstruct "the magic" that led to a particularly good game, sometimes we writers like to figure out what made the words flow better on one day as opposed to another. Was it the coffee? The music that was playing in the background? The mix of family members who were/were not home? The relative humidity? The amount of light streaming into the office? The number of times the phone did/didn't ring? Exactly what is the formula for a good writing day?

I know it isn't
INTERRUPTIONS x PHONE CALLS x TAX REMITTANCES DUE
HEADACHE


(I tried that formula one day and it was a "zero words" writing day.)

I'll keep trying to crack the code.

| posted by Ann D @ 10:37 AM