#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Mom University: Dawn Friedman, This Woman's Work

Thursday, October 27, 2005
fit to deliver book cover
Mom University is back with an interview with Dawn Friedman, a writer who has been published in such magazines as Brain, Child and Utne.com and who is the creator of the highly popular blog this woman's work.

Dawn and I chatted about an article of hers that originally appeared in Brain, Child; got picked up by Utne; and then ran in Ode.

The article -- "You're not my boss" -- talks about a radical parenting movement known as Taking Children Seriously (TCS) which is based in libertarian political philosophy. As movement founder Sarah Lawrence notes in the article, "Its most distinctive feature is the idea that it is possible and desirable to bring up children entirely without doing things to them against their will, or making them do things against their will, and that they are entitled to the same rights, respect and control over their lives as adults."

Ann: When did you write this piece?

Dawn: In the summer or fall of 2002.

Ann: What led you to write it?

Dawn: I had been fascinated by non-coercive parenting and while I think their extremism is, well, extreme, there is also value in looking at conflicts with our children from their unique perspective. While I personally never got much out of hanging with a group of nothing but TCS parents, I have learned a lot from individuals who practice TCS and it informs my parenting to the better, I think.

Ann: Why did you chose to send me this particular link when I asked you to send me a link to something you had written?

Dawn: Because out of everything I have online (which is not that much compared to what's available off-line), this is the piece of which I'm most proud.

Ann: Where my readers can find out more about you and your work?

Dawn: At this woman's work.

Ann: Anything else you want to say?

Dawn: Mom University -- nifty! :)

| posted by Ann D @ 8:03 AM