#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Sisterfest Report

Monday, January 09, 2006
First of all, I have amazing sisters. (One sister called me "pathetic" when I refused to open doors for myself after my manicure. But given that the rest of us sisters ruined this sister's dessert one night by discussing methods of cervical dilation, I'm not going to hold a grudge. This sister doesn't have any kids -- and doesn't intend to have any kids -- so she's really not big on pregnancy-related discussions. Our Saturday night discussion about fertility signs almost did her in.)

The inn where we stayed was really nice. If you go, I definitely recommend that you splurge a little and go for one of the suites in The Granary. We spent one night in The Lockmaster and one in The Maple, and both were lovely, but -- if I had to chose -- I'd go for The Lockmaster.

The inn staff were really friendly, especially this lovely woman named Erika who had read one of my books and told me how much she enjoyed it. Then she apologized for being overly enthusiastic. I told her, "Hey, be as enthusiastic as you want! These are the moments that make up for the not-so-great days as an author." She was totally adorable. She even had this adorable accent that I couldn't quite place. (I'm terrible with accents.) And she gave us cookies to take with us for the train ride back home. I saved mine to give to my eight year old, who practically tackled me when I got off the train. It turned out that he didn't like the kind of cookie that I had picked, so he passed it along to his Dad. So one cookie managed to make three people happy. That's a lot of mileage out of a single cookie.

The spa services were terrific. I went all out and had a facial, a massage, a manicure, a pedicure, and an eyebrow wax (and for once it didn't hurt). I'm surprised my family was able to recognize me upon my return, spa goddess that I was. And the spa director, Linda -- who did my services -- made me feel like a million bucks. Given that my spa bill was considerably less than that (this is one of the most reasonably priced spas I've ever visited, in fact) I felt like I got a real bargain.

Now on to the entertainment: One of my sisters brought along one of those tiny DVD players (so that we could watch movies if we all huddled up close and squinted). The first movie she picked was amazing. The second movie she picked was so bad I'm not even going to link to it because I don't want anyone else to know about it. (When we asked her how she'd heard about the movie, she told us someone at work had told her it was hilarious. Upon further grilling, we found out that the coworker in question was a guy in his early '20s. Then it all made sense.)

Anyway, the weekend was fabulous -- a reminder that I have to get away more often with the people in my life who mean the most to me. I had such a great time. And I feel so blessed to have such great sisters.

| posted by Ann D @ 10:50 AM