#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Literary Mama: Reading for the Maternally Inclined

Friday, February 24, 2006
I was never late for anything until I became a mother. And now I'm late for everything right now. Oh yeah -- and I used to be so organized. When I was planning my wedding, I set up a database to track the responses of wedding guests. Yes, I was that kind of person. You would have hated me.

But now that I have four kids, being obsessive to that degree simply isn't an option. I don't have time for it. I don't have time for a lot of things these days and haven't for a number of months. Want to know my really deep, dark secret? I haven't had time to open my Christmas cards yet. I didn't want to tear through them and not appreciate them -- and not have time to respond to them -- so I set them aside for a time when I had, well, a little more time. I still waiting for that time to arrive. I expect it to arrive in March. (So those of you who sent me cards: I'll be sending you your cards soon.)

I did, however, find a few moments this week to dive into Literary Mama: Reading for the Maternally Inclined -- a collection of essays edited by Andi Buchanan and Amy Hudock of Literary Mama -- a website that has raised the bar for writing about motherhood both on and off the 'net.

What I love about this collection of writing is what I love about Literary Mama itself: the fact that it reflects the reality of motherhood. The writing isn't saccharine and cutesy, like so many of those made-for-gift shop motherhood books -- the ones that make you feel like you should be sighing deeply, wiping away a tear, and saying, "I am so blessed!" each time you flip another page.

This collection is honest enough to admit that there are times when we are disappointed and frustrated and angry with our kids -- and times when we feel guilty for feeling that way -- as well as times when we feel so happy about having a chance at motherhood that we feel like loading up on those saccharine motherhood guides by the armful.

Here's something else I love Buchanan and Hudock's collection. Rather than limiting themselves to "name brand writers" (the gutless editors' approach to putting together a book of this type), Buchanan and Hudock have sought to give voice to both well-known and lesser-known writers. The result is a highly personal collection of memoir, reflections, and poetry from a highly diverse and talented group of everymoms. Highly recommended.

| posted by Ann D @ 7:18 PM