#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

The Motherhood Club Welcomes Another Member

Wednesday, February 22, 2006
My youngest sister had her baby yesterday. I am so happy for her (and for me). :-)

When I spoke to her on the phone last night, I found myself having that conversation I have whenever I talk to a brand new mom.

What did you think of labor?

Have you had a chance to try breastfeeding?

So tell me about your baby!

Isn't motherhood amazing?


Okay, it's a bit longer than that. I usually say, "I'm so happy for you" and "I'm so glad your baby is here" and I just gush over the mother and the baby and I ask for a million details about the baby and the birth (in a non-nosy, non-prying way, I promise). You have to let the new mom tell her story her way.

After I hung up, I found myself feeling a little wistful. My baby days are behind me and I'm really enjoying the adorable stage my teenage daughter is going through right now. (Her teen colic has abated and she's totally lovely again.) But those first moments with your first baby are a moment forever frozen in time -- the gold standard against which all other mothering moments are compared. And, naturally, the moment becomes "more golden" over time. You forget how sore and tender and exhausted you were right after the birth. It's the mother high that overpowers your memories.

| posted by Ann D @ 11:34 AM