#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Postcard from Planet Baby

Friday, March 24, 2006
I have been having the most amazing week, hanging out with my sister, her husband, and their new baby. It has been such a privilege to have the opportunity to see the baby changing day by day and -- even more fascinating -- to watch my sister's confidence in her mothering abilities begin to emerge. The more she learns about her baby and the more she tests her theories of what her baby wants and needs at any given time, the more she feels confident that she is uniquely qualified and capable of being a mother to her baby.

My eight-year-old is with me for the week. He's been busy entertaining my sister's dog (to minimize "sibling adjustment"), helping me with cooking and laundry, and making presents for my sister and her husband ("Dads are always forgotten" he tells me). He's been doing inventory of the baby's gifts ("six pairs of shoes!") and reducing inventory of my sister's supply of cookies and cereal bars. He's having a great time and I think we've only broken one dish since we arrived. It's been a great week.

We're starting to pack up for the trip home. I have 2000 emails to catch up on and a whole lot of work to do when I get home, but sometimes you have to take a timeout from life in order to pay attention to what's really important in the life of your family. Babies are only four weeks old once and a mother needs support when she needs support. It's that simple.

| posted by Ann D @ 9:28 AM