#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Book Tour: Day 2

Tuesday, May 02, 2006
Today was a little quieter (and after yesterday's excitement, I appreciated the lull). I pretaped two radio interviews. A couple of other radio interviews were rescheduled for later dates because the interviewers had to cover breaking news about the federal government budget. (Can't blame them. Government spending always gets people pretty excited -- in a good or bad way.)

I also had a chance to catch up on some one-day-overdue writing assignments. I hate being late. Up until about a year ago, I was never late with anything (other than pregnancies). During the past year, my life has become a bit of a hurricane. Okay, a lot of a hurricane. It started with the two back-to-back books -- and then everything else in my life got swept up in the book-related hurricane. I still feel breathless some days.

On the good news front: I'm making serious in-roads in tackling the office clutter and confusion. (I've probably eliminated about 75% of the clutter that was here 6 weeks ago. Yeah, me!) I've also implemented a lot of new systems, many of which were inspired by David Allen's book Getting Things Done (read this for a smart and concise summary of what GTD is all about). So I'm starting to feel like the teeter-totter is tipping in the "less overwhelmed" direction.

Now if only someone would un-invent my nemesis, email, I might have a fighting chance of conquering my to do list on any given day. (Okay, not all e-mail: just the SPAM and the lists I joined in 1997, but have no way of getting off, and the PR pitches that have nothing to do with anything I write about, and the emails made up of strange combinations of characters that fill my in-box with random nothingness.) Is that so unreasonable?

-----

A couple of happy footnotes. (Isn't it nice to finish the day with happy feet?!!!)

First of all, Savvymom.ca featured Sleep Solutions for Your Baby, Toddler, and Preschooler: The Ultimate No-Worry Approach for Each Age and Stage today in a 10-copy giveaway contest on their site. Knowing how much traffic those savvy moms get in a day, I imagine the books are long gone, but it never hurts to enter the contest, just in case every other mom on the planet is assuming that all the copies have already been won. (Hey, it could happen.)

Secondly, two lovely reader reviews for the book have cropped up at Amazon.com. Now I know what you're all saying. "Back away from the site. Back away from the site! It's only a matter of time before one of those other reviews appears." (You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones that say. "This sleep book was so terrible it kept me up all night, tossing and turning. The one you really need is [insert competitive title]." Anyway, until the hateful reviews start to appear, I'm going to enjoy the ones from my first two satisfied readers, who really seem to "get" what I was trying to do with the book. Carpe diem.

And speaking of sleep. there's an adorable eight year old asleep upstairs in my house with a pair of sunglasses on. So what's your theory about why he wore those shades to bed? One: he's pretending he's Corey Hart or Two: his future's so bright, he has to wear shades?

| posted by Ann D @ 9:47 PM