#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Saturday Round-Up Kind of Post

Saturday, June 24, 2006
I've been mentally blogging for days. It's time to actually put my fingers on the keyboard. Blogging in your head gets exhausting after a while. Besides, this will help to distract me while my oldest drives herself and her boyfriend into the city so that they can go to the Nine Inch Nails concert at Ontario Place. It's a big step for her and for me. I am just trying to imagine a posse of Toronto parents out there sprinkling mom and dad karma throughout the city, making the city safer for other people's kids.

--

Okay, on to the much-needed distractions.


  • The New York Times reports it received "an extraordinary outpouring of letters" responding to that article I blogged about last week ("Breast-Feed or Else"). Hardly surprising, given how passionately most mothers feel about the subject of infant feeding, and how polarized the debate can become when either side takes an extreme position or tries to shout down the other team -- what seemed to me to be happening in this case.

  • One of my sisters called to say that Canadian Living has given Sleep Solutions for Your Baby, Toddler, and Preschooler: The Ultimate No-Worry Approach for Each Age and Stage a nice thumbs up in its July issue. "Your Kids" columnist Cheryl Embrett, describes the book as "a fun, informative no-guilt guide that will help everyone in the family rest easier." CanadianLiving.com is featuring some excerpts from the book on its website: The Secrets of Sleep-Savvy Moms and Top 12 Sleep Solutions for Parents of Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers.

  • I've been playing with online toys again -- specifically a Trumba Calendar that feeds an upcoming events box at the bottom of this blog as well as on some of my other blogs; and I've been having fun playing with my del.icio.us tags, too, as you'll see if you check out the new bookmarks feed in the sidebar.

  • I've been doing a lot of thinking this week. Thinking, organizing, answering emails (yep, some people have been surprised to get replies to very old emails), getting random thoughts and worries out of my head and on to my to do list (like productivity guru David Allen suggests; and otherwise catching up, restrategizing, and doing all the things I haven't had a chance to do for a year. This is the mode I intend to be in all summer and it feels great. I highly recommend mental housecleaning (as opposed to obsessive white-glove real housecleaning, unless, of course, that's what puts a bounce in your step).

| posted by Ann D @ 1:36 PM