#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

The Shape of a Mother

Tuesday, July 18, 2006
The Shape of a Mother is such an awesome idea. And the fact that some of the images are a little surprising in a "Wow, I've never seen anything like that in my life" kind of way just reinforces how artificial images of mothers in the media really are. (Do mothers in real life look like anorexic air-brushed models? Not the mothers I know -- for the most part. But there's certainly a lot of pressure to look that way.)

I have souvenirs from all four pregnancies -- stretch marks that have faded to silver, pregnancy pounds that come and go (but are currently in town, if you get my drift), and so on.

I also carry myself like a mother: with more power and confidence, and pride in those maternal curves.

Thanks to Dani for the lead on this awesome blog.

| posted by Ann D @ 9:34 AM