#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

What to Look for in a Parenting Book

Monday, July 17, 2006
Columnist John Hoffman made an important point in his column in the April 2006 issue of the popular Canadian parenting magazine Today's Parent.

"When you peruse parenting tomes, watch for signs of inflexible single-mindedness. Trust those who seem to understand that kids are different, and that there are few one-size-fits-all rules for raising them."

Hoffman's words really resonated with me because they reflect my parenting philosophy and the perspective that I bring to my work as a pregnancy and parenting book author.

I actually feel quite passionately about this subject.

In my book THE MOTHER OF ALL PREGNANCY BOOKS, I write: "There's no such thing as a one-size-fits all pregnancy experience."

In my book THE MOTHER OF ALL PARENTING BOOKS, I note "There's a growing backlast against advice givers who have lost touch with the needs of real families....parenting experts who offer highly simplistic, formulaic solutions that don't take into account the countless messy variables that are the very essence of family life and who refuse to accept that one-size-fits-all parenting solutions fit most kids as well as one-size-fits-all jeans."

And I have been using the phrase "There's no one-size-fits-all sleep solution" ad nauseum during the campaign for SLEEP SOLUTIONS FOR YOUR BABY, TODDLER, AND PRESCHOOLER.

That's because this issue is really important to me. I've always hated it when people have tried to serve me a "one-size-fits-all" or a "five easy steps" bill of goods so I refuse to take that approach in my writing. Nothing about parenting is that easy or straightforward, and there's no across-the-board formula that applies to all parents and all kids. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is selling you a bill of goods. (A very seductive bill of goods that may be just what you need on a very bad parenting day, but a bill of goods nonetheless.)

| posted by Ann D @ 1:02 PM