#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Postcard from the Cottage

Tuesday, August 29, 2006
I'm sending you a postcard from the cottage, where I'm having a great time watching movies, doing crafts with my youngest (our project for tonight is to glue buttons to old picture frames), watching my husband test-drive his "brand new to him" runabout boat (it hardly leaks at all), and making a few jaunts to quirky local stores (including a really cool gem store in Wilberforce).

  • I have to tell you about Starlite Gems in Wilberforce, in case you happen to be passing through. (Wilberforce is west of Bancroft and near the south end of Algonquin Park, just to give you some rough coordinates.) Starlite Gems carries used books -- I found a vintage guide to knitting and crocheting, which will be a Christmas gift for my friend C. this year -- but its real claim to fame is its collection of gems. I purchased some slices of outcroppings of rocks and minerals. I'll post some photos when I get home. (At my dialup speed, I would be home by the time the photos uploaded!)

  • I participated at a book-signing on the weekend at the Peterborough Chapters store. It was a fundraiser for the local Ontario Early Years Centre (a.k.a. The Peterborough Family Resource Centre, formerly known as the Peterborough Family Enrichment Centre). When Brad, the Chapters Store Manager, asked me if I was willing to be part of the fundraiser for the Centre, I didn't hesitate to say yes. The Centre kept me sane when I was a totally overwhelmed new mom. (My first baby was colicky and I was totally shocked and unprepared for the reality of motherhood. Some days I still am. I quickly learned that the best way to get through those really dark days was to learn as much as I could about all my parenting options, talk honestly about my experiences with other mothers, and to trust my ability to make the best possible choices for my baby. If you have read any of my books, you will realize what an impact my experiences at the Centre had on my philosophies as a mom and as a parenting author.

  • Does anyone know how to post to Blogger via email? I'm up at the cottage using dial-up and it can take up to 20 minutes to load the Blogger "create post" form. That's painfully slow, given how addicted I've become to high-speed. Yes, I know the universe wants me to experience s-l-o-w-n-e-s-s, but I'd rather be experience that on the deck, reading a novel, or a book on writing fiction, rather than watching the Blogger form create itself at a pace that would have a turtle begging for mercy.

  • I'm getting organized for fall -- specifically the start of the revisions for The Mother of All Pregnancy Books -- Canadian edition. If you've always been meaning to send me some comments on how that book could be improved, this would be a great time to do so. To ensure your words of wisdom don't get eaten up by the spam-o-meter, it would be great if you could send them via my assistant Florence. She will gather everything up for me in a single, spam-free place.) You can contact Florence at florencekraft at gmail.com.


Hope everyone is enjoying this last bit of summer before the kids head back to school. I know some of you live by different school calendars than what's in place in my part of the world, so if your kids are already back in school, I hope the new school-year routines are proving to be energizing rather than totally overwhelming. (There's a fine line between revitalizing and crazy-making, isn't there?)

| posted by Ann D @ 12:35 PM