#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

YouTube: The Face of Autism

Wednesday, September 06, 2006
My friend Nancy Price (creator of the SheKnows empire of websites) created this amazing video called The Face of Autism. It's about her son Quinn.

My youngest son doesn't meet the diagnosis for any one condition, but he lives his life in that fascinating neighborhood bounded by autism, Asperger's, non-verbal communication disorder, and other similar behaviors/conditions. I saw a lot of the types of things he would do when I was watching this video about Quinn -- especially the intensity with which he lives his life.

Typical slice-of-life moment with my son: on the way home from the school yesterday, he tells me that he (a Grade Four) had taken the new crop of Grade Ones aside to tell them that life isn't fair. "They're getting older and they need to know. X wasn't very happy about it. But she's going to have to learn to deal with it." Welcome to the real world, kids. And Happy First Day of Grade One. Kindly check your childhood idealism at the door.

| posted by Ann D @ 11:21 AM