#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

For the Sister Who Has Everything (Including You as a Sibling)

Thursday, October 12, 2006
Today is my sister Janet's birthday. She is the kind of person who is hard to shop for because she never wants stuff except for books. And, even on that front, she's tough to shop for because she's always read any book you might think of buying for her. She's a very avid reader. If I bought her anything book-ish, it would have to be a gift certificate that she could cash in for something that was being published this week and that she hadn't already read.

Even more than books, however, my sister really loves it when people make charitable donations in her name, so you can imagine how excited I was when I found out that you can now purchase gift certificates for Canada Helps -- Canada's one-stop destination for charitable giving. Here's how it works:

1. Visit Canada Helps.
2. Select the gift card option from the home page and choose a donation amount.
3. Personalize the online gift card.
4. The gift card can be sent to the recipient by email or you can print it out and send it to the recipient yourself.
5. Pay for your gift card, and you will receive a tax receipt for your donation.
6. The recipient then visits the website, searches for their charity of choice and redeems the card.
7. CanadaHelps then sends the donation to the selected charity.

To learn more about CanadaHelps charity gift cards, visit: Canada Helps' Gift Card page.

I like the fact that I can still get my sister's gift to her on her actual birthday (today) even though I'm -- ahem -- a little late in starting my shopping. And it's a feel-good gift all around. I just completed my transaction, so, with any luck, she should be receiving her gift right about now and one or more Canadian charities should be feeling some birthday love sometime soon.

| posted by Ann D @ 11:32 AM