#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

From the Desk of Nancy White

Sunday, December 31, 2006
If you've been reading this blog for a while, you know that I'm a Nancy White groupie -- you know Nancy White of Momnipotent: Songs for Weary Parents and Anne and Gilbert: The Island Love Story fame. Well, I was thrilled to get this note in my email yesterday, letting me know that Nancy and her daughter Suzy are going to be on Sounds Like Canada tomorrow morning (Jan. 1). (If you're in the U.S., you can listen to the interview live via the Internet, using a link on this page.) Bill Richardson is guest-hosting. Here's the inside scoop from Nancy herself.


Hi folks,
The divine Bill Richardson had a blinding flash of an idea for an item on Sounds Like Canada, which he's hosting over the holidays.

Musicians and their musician offspring.

And I am one of the people he called, and my daughter Suzy Wilde and I went into the studio and had a grand chat with him, and it's going to be aired on New Year's Day in the second hour of the show, 10-11 a.m., on CBC One (radio).

I don't know if I've ever mentioned that Suzy is in a band called StoneFox. I don't like talking about my kids. But perhaps this information has slipped my lips once or twice, along with the fact my daughter Maddy is in a band called Spiral Beach. It may have come up in conversation. Maybe I said "Yes, you know, I raised my back-up vocalists from scratch" or "Sorry I can't come to your cocktail party to meet Don McKellar. I have to drive some gear to The Drake."

Anyway, StoneFox is on its way, as we say! Their CD The Things I Wouldn't Know About just got a good review in NOW, they played the Mariposa Festival last summer, and they're gigging a lot around southern Ontario. (And by that I mean Toronto and Stratford.) Members of the band are Anika Johnson (daughter of two Stratford Festival musicians), Mike O'Hara, Barb Johnston (daughter of Bob Johnston), Andrew Kekawich and Tyler Rowles. You can hear them on Stonefox at Myspace or Stonefox. Almost all of them are graduates of Wexford Collegiate School for the Arts, Anika and Barb are studying theatre at Ryerson, and Suzy's studying contemporary music at Humber, so as you can imagine, their shows are pretty theatrical. (They're at the Drake in Toronto on Jan.8, Elvis' birthday.

Bill Richardson has known of the talents of Suzy for a long time. He interviewed me in 1990 when the CD Momnipotent: Songs for Weary Parents came out. As I recall he said he was relieved I hadn't named my girls after cheeses of France. And of course Suzy was on that album, as an infant, crying on "Memo to Droola" and as a four-year-old, singing with Barb Johnston, then six, on "Daughters of Feminists."

Then in the late 90's, when he was hosting "Richardson's Roundup" (and who among us can ever hear the phrase "1-888" without silently whispering "SAD-GOAT"), Bill came to Toronto to do an item about music theatre, and he featured Anne and Gilbert, which Bob and I were then workshopping, and Suzy was one of the singers in the Wexford chorus, singing "Mr.Blythe".

So, really, they're quite close.

During our interview, Bill played "Daughters of Feminists", "Suzy's Song" (from the StoneFox CD) and "When He was my Beau," sung by Laura Smith on the Anne and Gilbert selections CD. Of course I imagine they'll have shortened the item -- possibly cutting out the part where we whistled through our tongues to show how musical aptitude is passed on -- but I'm hoping all three songs will remain.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the other parent-child combo sharing the hour with us, because it's John Gray (composer of musicals, and writer-performer of those amazing topical videos "The Journal" used to run) and his son Zachary Gray (who heads up a band called "Lotus Child", that's making a splash on the west coast). I checked out their myspace and their website Lotus Child, and they're a really good band. Not surprisingly!

So, please do check us out on New Year's Day. It'll be Suzy's first CBC radio interview, and it could well be my last!
And, hey, Happy New Year!!!!!!!

- Nancy White

Labels: , , , , , , ,

| posted by Ann D @ 2:32 PM