#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

Push Presents: Media Phenomenon or For Real?

Tuesday, January 30, 2007
AOL Shopping has decided to pick up Jane Taguicana's article on push presents. I was quoted in the story -- which ran in the Canadian Press over the holiday season.

Frankly, the whole "push presents" thing kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I can't decide how much of this "trend" is real and how much is a media phenomenon. (Obviously at least a few gifts are being purchased or there wouldn't be moms who've received push presents to write about or increasingly lavish push presents to spotlight.)

I can't think of any moms in my circle of friends who've ever tried to make the case that they "deserved" such-and-such for going through labor -- and, trust me, my friends aren't exactly the martyrly type. (If they thought they deserved something, they'd speak up.)

The whole idea of getting some sort of reward for going through labor makes no sense at all. Your baby is the reward. Or at least that's my take on the situation.

And as for making it sound like dad "owes" mom something for giving birth -- like he contributed nothing to the process of having a baby -- well, that's just plain insulting to dads. As Peter Hartlaub put it a few weeks back, "I think the push prize promotes the idea that having a baby is all about one person, instead of a shared experience."

Related:
The Poop: The Push Prize -- Great Idea or Biggest Scam Ever?"
Maternity Award: Push Prize Says It All
Push Presents Expected from Expectant Fathers
Push Presents: A Trend is Born

Labels: , , , ,

| posted by Ann D @ 2:42 PM