#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

A Sneak Peek at the WebMD Makeover

Saturday, January 27, 2007
As many of you know, I have a blog over at WebMD. (In my blog -- Pregnant Pause -- I offer "motley mix of noteworthy pregnancy news, tips and pregnancy wisdom seen through the eyes of a mother who also happens to be a pregnancy author.")

A couple of the days ago, the WebMD bloggers got a sneak preview of the site's new look. The makeover hasn't gone live yet, but we were given permission to give friends and family a look, too, so I figured I'd post the link here. If you've got any feedback -- good, bad, or ugly -- the folks at WebMD would love to hear it. I promise I'll pass it on. (Note: I recently told the people at the site about some outdated information I'd spotted in a pregnancy article and they were very receptive to hearing what I had to say. They aren't just saying "Tell us what you think" because that's something they should say. They really want to know.)

Just to get the ball rolling, here are some quick comments from me on the site's new look.

I love the fact that there are so many different ways to choose to navigate the site now. I was particularly happy to see the introduction of tags linking to conversations on the boards since that allows you to immediately get a sense of what real moms are talking about -- and you can jump in with just a click of your mouse.

I love the fact that there's so much content accessible from this one page -- via headlines, pull-down menus, search boxes, lists, and other on-screen summaries of site resources.

I love the new colour scheme. It looks a lot fresher and more contemporary to me than the current template. I particularly like the look of the Health News area. The mix of headlines, lists, and images makes this page very inviting.

I'm a bit mystified by the "Perfect Pregnancy" header beside my picture (scroll down and you'll see what I mean). My Web blog is called Pregnant Pause and -- as regular readers of this blog and my pregnancy books know -- I would never promise anyone a "perfect pregnancy." Given my reproductive history and how I hate it when anyone tries to offer any false guarantees about anything pregnancy or parenting-related -- (the SPALS acronym "Ms PP" for Ms. Perfect Pregnancy" comes to mind) I really feel uncomfortable having the words "Perfect Pregnancy" associated with my blog. It could be that those two words are slug copy that were inserted as place holder text or that someone mixed up the name of my blog ("Pregnant Pause" -- "Perfect Pregnancy" -- they're not that dissimilar). What matters to me is that, before the makeover goes live, they lose the "perfect." After all, I lost "the perfect" a long time ago.

So what do you think? Anything jump out at you that you want to comment on?

Labels: , , , ,

| posted by Ann D @ 5:45 PM