#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

In the Swim of Things

Wednesday, June 06, 2007
I heard on my way over to the office this morning that six out of ten Canadian kids today don't know how to swim. What do you think is behind this stat? Is it the cost/availability of swimming lessons? The fact that some kids are reluctant to take swimming lessons (and parents may be reluctant to enroll reluctant swimmers)?

I'm trying to puzzle this through with my parent hat on. Aiming for a 100 percent swim rate may be unrealistic, although that would be the ideal. Three out of four of my kids are swimmers. My youngest has been taking swimming lessons for three years straight (through his school), but has required a lot of patience and encouragement to have anything to do with the water. I think we'll eventually get him to swim (as in cross the pool and say, "There, I did it!" (and then hop out of the pool). But that may be his entire swimming career. Thoughts?

Related: SummerParenting.com.

Labels: , ,

| posted by Ann D @ 6:20 AM