#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

What a Mammogram Feels Like (In Case You're Wondering)

Friday, August 17, 2007
I had my first mammogram this morning. I had been a bit freaked out -- so freaked out that I hadn't resorted to my usual research overkill, for fear of freaking myself out even more.

I'm happy and relieved to report that the mammogram was no big deal. I had visions of some breastologist trying to flatten one of my breasts between two sheets of plexiglass until it was the thickness of a pancake but that's not what happened at all.

Each of my breasts was compressed in a downward direction and then in sideways direction. None of the compressions was painful at all. In fact, I've experienced more discomfort on the various occasions when a toddler (with or without shoes on) decided to use one or both of my breasts as a step-ladder to climb up on to my shoulders.

So if you have a mammogram scheduled anytime soon and you're freaking out, try not to panic. On a scale of one to ten with a stubbed toe being a one and childbirth being a ten, it would be pushing it to give it a one (at least based on my experience). Anyone else want to chime in and share their experience?

By the way, in case anyone is wondering why I had a mammogram at 43 (a bit early for your average Canadian female) it's because my mom had breast cancer -- one of the three types of cancers she had in her lifetime. I still don't know the results of my mammogram -- and won't for a few weeks, but I'm going to assume that everything's fine until proven otherwise.

Labels: ,

| posted by Ann D @ 2:45 PM