#main #menu { position: absolute; right: 21px; }

The Home Schooling Diaries: Part I

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Most of you have known me long enough to realize that silence on the blog means that heavy-duty things are going on behind the scenes. Things are percolating -- and for once I'm not talking coffee.

The past ten days have been a momentous time in the life of my family: one of those dividing lines that we'll use to mark time from now on. We'll talk about the days before we started home-schooling our ten year old and after we started home-schooling our ten year-old -- an option that wasn't even on our parental radar screens eleven days ago.

I'm not going to go into the specifics because I don't want to violate my son's privacy or put the other people involved in an awkward position. Many of these people were wonderful to my son during his time at this particular school. So I'm going to move on and say, "That was then and this is now -- and we're embracing this exciting new adventure."

Home schooling may not be for every child, but, for now, it's the right -- let me amend that: the only -- option for my ten year old. He's an amazing guy who, like all children, is a unique human being with one-of-a-kind needs. I think those needs will best be met in a home-schooling environment where there are few distractions and lots of opportunities for one-on-one coaching and encouragement. It feels right to both of us.

I've been spending a lot of time researching the ins and outs of home-schooling -- and thanks to terrific web pages like Guilt-Free Home Schooling and the National Home Education Network, my network of friends who have home-schooled or are currently home-schooling, and the resources that my son's former school passed along, I feel like we're ready to take the leap.

Of course, it helps that my son and I share a mutual love of office/school supplies and we picked up some cool organizers/charts to give us the illusion of being in control. You've got to have the right toys at times like this. :-)

So here we go. Wish us luck!

Labels:

| posted by Ann D @ 9:49 PM